Packing up and moving to another Country can be daunting, particularly if you hold the stresses of having to search for work as a means of earning a living. If you are unable to secure a job before the day of your big move, it is advised that you arrive in Spain prepared and well researched of the current job market in the area you are relocating to. Just like in the UK, there are many recruitment agencies in Spain willing to recruit British citizens, so many sure you send your CV to as many different recruitment agencies as you can well before the move. If you do relocate before you accept a job, make sure you only move with enough money to live off for several months so your finances don’t become another stress!

  • If you are an EU national you do not need a work permit to work in Spain.
  • You can enter Spain as a tourist and register with Spanish national employment office (Instituto Nacional de Empleo – INEM).
  • You then have 90 days to look for a job; if unsuccessful you can obtain an extension on this period.
  • Once you secure a job, your employment contract is necessary when applying for residence card.
  • Documents that you must present when completing your work permit application if you are an employee are as follows:
    – Copy of your valid passport.
    – Criminal records certificate, given by the authorities of your home country.
    – Official medical certificate.
    – Three passport-sized photographs.
    – Fiscal registration number and also the Social Security registration number of your employee.
    – Full job description and the nature of the company.
    – Proof of the employer’s solvency may also be required.
  • If you will be working as self-employed, the documents you will need to present on completion of your work permit application are:
    – A copy of your valid passport.
    – Criminal records certificate, given by the authorities of your home country.
    – Official medical certificate.
    – Three passport-sized photographs.
    – Full description of your job and company activity.
    – Proof of the foreigners professional qualification or that he meets the requirements needed to perform the professional activity in Spain, for example, necessary licenses to perform the activity or the registration to the Spanish Social Security system, your NIE
  • The Spanish Administration may require other documentation from you occasionally.
  • Types of work permit if you are an employee are:- Type A: for seasonal or work for a limited time. This is maximum 9 months
    – Type B initial: This allows you to work in a specific profession or geographic area for maximum time period of 1 year.
    – Type B renewed: This is issued to those who originally held Type B and it has expired. This enables you to carry on with a variety of professions within a 2 year period.
    – Type C: When your Type B renewed permit runs out, you will be issued Type C. This entitles the worker to carry out any professional activity throughout the Spanish Territory.
  • Types of work permit if you are self-employed:– Type D initial: You can carry on a specific activity for a 1 year maximum period. Spanish authorities could be limited to certain geographical area
    – Type D renewed: If you originally held Type D initial, and this expired, you will be issued with Type D renewed. This entitles you to perform a variety of activities for a 2 year period. Spanish authorities have the right to limit this to a specific geographical location or a certain activity
    – Type E: When your Type D renewed permit expired, you can apply for Type E which enables you to perform any professional activity on Spanish Territory for a maximum of 3 years
  • Types of work permit if you are an employee or self-employed:– Type F: You can perform professional activities within Spanish borders provided daily return to the foreign borders where they reside
    – Permanent: This enables you to perform any professional activity with the relevant qualifications. You MUST renew this work permit every 5 years