Avocado Fries Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 2 large avocados (need to be firm)
- 1 lime (cut in half)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 sprigs cilantro, slightly chopped
1. Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Peel the avocados and cut them into ½ inch slices.
2. Squeeze half a lime onto avocado slices.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, chili powder (optional) and 1 ½ teaspoons salt.
4. Dredge each avocado slice in the flour, then dip into the egg mixture and finally roll in panko crumbs. Repeat with all avocado slices.
5. Heat oil in large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add a single layer of avocado slices to the pan. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
6. Repeat the cooking process with the remaining avocado slices.
NOTE: For a healthier option, this recipe can be be baked in the oven instead of the frying method.
Optional oven method
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pour 1 tablespoon of the oil in a cookie sheet tray or baking dish.
- After avocado slices are coated, place in a single layer on the greased sheet pan or baking dish. Lightly drizzle with oil or spray with cooking spray. This will help the avocado slices to crisp in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the avocados are golden and crispy. If desired, more oil can be drizzled while they are baking for additional crispness.