Old-Fashioned Blueberry Coffee Cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45-50 minutes
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter (softened)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter and flour a 9 x 9 baking dish.
2.In large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and shortening.
3. Stir in milk, egg and vanilla until combined.
4. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix the batter.
6. Gently fold in the blueberries.
7. Pour batter into prepared 9 x 9 baking dish.
8. In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter to make the streusel topping.
9. Blend together with a fork until the ingredients are crumbly.
10. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the top of the cake batter.
11. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.